RI.gov R.I. Government Agencies | Privacy Policy |

Closed Captioning


How Do I Complain if I Think Someone is Not Complying with the FCC's Requirements?

If you have a complaint, you can first contact the video programming distributor, although you are not required to do so. You can also complain to the FCC. Your complaint should include:

The name of the video programming distributor (and cable or satellite distributors, if applicable) against whom the complaint is alleged;

The date and time of the omission of emergency information; and

The type of emergency.

You may contact the FCC by letter, fax, telephone (voice/TRS/TTY), Internet e-mail, audio-cassette recording, Braille, or any other method that would best accommodate your disability. Send your complaint to:

Federal Communications Commission
Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau
445 12th Street, SW
Washington, DC 20554
Phone: 1-888-225-5322 (voice); 1-888-835-5322 (TTY)
E-mail : fccinfo@fcc.gov
Internet: www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html
Fax: 202-418-0232 

What Happens After I File a Complaint?

The FCC will notify the video programming distributor of the complaint, and the distributor will reply to the complaint within 30 days. Based on the information in the complaint and the response, and any other information the FCC may request from either party, the FCC will make its decision and take the appropriate action. To learn more about the FCC's requirements for access to televised emergency programming, visit the Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau's Web site at, www.fcc.gov/cgb .

(The sources are obtained from the Federal Communication Commission.)

NOTE: You may click on National Association of the Deaf's How to File a Captioning Complaint to see the samples.